Who Needs Sponsorship To Work In Denmark?

By: Emily Wilson

Denmark is the perfect place to live with your family and kids in a peaceful environment. Life in Denmark offers excellent business opportunities, a high standard of education, health and old-age benefits, and security. Denmark is one of the best countries to settle down with your family. The Denmark government launched the Family Reunification Scheme to bring immigrants’ families, dependent partners, or parents. It allows eligible migrants to sponsor their family members to live with them in Denmark. The eligible migrants themselves are in Denmark under the Danish Green Card.

If you have a relative or close family member living in Denmark, the relative is a Danish citizen, has a permanent residence permit, or is a refugee, you can apply for a residence permit under Denmark Green Card Scheme. You have to meet certain requirements for getting eligibility to apply for the visa.

Persons eligible to apply for Denmark Family Visa
  • Spouse
  • You are a spouse/registered partner/ cohabiting partner of a foreign national living in Denmark, holding a residence permit. He works in Denmark or is a student. You can apply for this visa.
  • You are a spouse/partner of a citizen of an EU/EEA/Nordic country or a citizen of Switzerland.
  • If you are a spouse/partner of a Danish citizen under EU Law

If your spouse or De-facto partner is a citizen, or permanent residence holder in Denmark and wants you to accompany him/her in Denmark, you are eligible to apply for a residence permit on the Family visa.

Basic requirements for you and your spouse/de-facto partners:
  1. You and your partner should be more than 24 years of age.
  2. Your partner should be a holder of the Danish residence permit on the premise of asylum 
  3. Your spouse/partner must have desired funds to support you and him/her.
  • Children
You are eligible to apply for family reunification as a child 
  • If your age is less than 15 years and your parent is a Refugee in Denmark, 
  • If your parent is a citizen of Denmark or a Nordic country.
  • If your parents have a residence permit in Denmark except for asylum.

Basic requirements 
  1. The child should be single and unmarried.
  2. Any of the parents must be a Danish Residence Permit holder on the premise of asylum or a permanent residence permit holder for the past three years.
  3. One of your parents meets the section of conditions of the Family Reunification scheme.
  • Other Family members
This category includes the other family members other than children below 15 years and spouse/partners.

Document Requirements while applying for Family Reunification
  1. Documents of the paid fee
  2. Photocopy of all the pages of the passport
  3. Marriage certificate (if you are married)
  4. Documents of your financial funds
  5. Documents to show that you have passed the Danish test (if you have to meet the Danish language requirement)


Family Reunification brings a family together. One of the family members is a citizen, residence permit holder, or a refugee. He sponsors the other eligible members of his family. The family reunification allows the sponsored members to work in Denmark. The sponsored members can apply for a residence permit to become permanent residents.